|Manufacturers will be looking to sell harvesters and barns at the Southern Farm Show. In 2012, representative Len Erdelac described the DeCloet Italy lastover harvester to Nathan and Travis Unruh of Greenville, N.C.|
SHOW TIME FOR TOBACCO
The Southern Farm Show takes place in Raleigh, N.C., this week, and perhaps we will learn there whether there will be enough curing barns to go around this season. Manufacturers will be at the show looking for orders. "We have already received a number of them and can handle more," says Billy Price of World Tobacco Inc. "We would like to have all orders in by the end of February if we can, so we can be sure to deliver them to the farm no later than June 15. But we will accommodate later orders if we can." Price says his company is exhibiting this year for the first time with Evans MacTavish Agricraft of Wilson, N.C., which manufactures the barns for World Tobacco. The show takes place January 30, 31 and February 1 at the North Carolina state fairgrounds. For details and directions, go to the website http://www.
southernshows.com. For a report on the show and on the growers meeting, watch for the next issue of TFN in early February.
The show will end with the Annual Meeting of the Tobacco Growers Association of North Carolina in the Holshouser Building on Friday, February 1. It starts at 10 a.m. and ends after a sponsored lunch...On the same day, the East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia/Western North Carolina Tobacco Expo will be held at the Appalachian Fairgrounds on Lakeview Street in Gray, Tn. Registration starts at 8 a.m. and activities conclude at 1 p.m., with GAP training available afterward (see below). For more information, call the Greene County Extension office at 423-798-1710... On February 5, the Tennessee --Kentucky Tobacco Expo is scheduled in Springfield, Tn., starting at 9 a.m. and running till 3 p.m. GAP training is available afterward (see below). The location is the Robertson County Fairgrounds Community Building 4635 Hwy. North in Springfield. For more information, call the Robertson County Extension office at 615-384-7936.
Southern Farm Show Exhibitor Update. Following is a list of businesses who would like a visit from you at their exhibits at the Southern Farm Show, January 30-February 1.
- #222 World Tobacco Inc., exhibiting with Evans MacTavish Agricraft. Curing barns.
- #807 Mechanical Transplanter Co., Inc. Transplanters, seeding equipment and other related items for tobacco and vegetables.
- #808 BulkTobac (Gas Fired Tobacco). Tobacco curing equipment, curing controls, poultry brooders, pig heating, space heaters.
- #1002 TriEst Ag Group, Inc. (formerly Hendrix & Dail). Fumigation supplies.
- #1104 GoldLeaf Seed. Tobacco seed.
- #1116 Cross Creek Seed. Tobacco seed along with tobacco transplants, greenhouse tray sterilization/steaming, tray washers and seeders.
- #1220 F.W. Rickard Seeds, Inc. Flue-cured, burley and dark tobacco seed.
- #3135 Southern Container Corporation of Wilson Inc. Packaging, bale sheets and wire.
- #3605 MarCo Manufacturing Co. / Powell Manufacturing Co. Mechanical harvesters (flue-cured and burley) and other equipment.
- #3714 Cureco, Inc. Curing controls.
- #5027 Flue Cured Tobacco Services LLC. Curing controls.
- #8011 Taylor Manufacturing, Inc. Curing barns and other tobacco equipment.
- #8104 Evencure Systems. Curing barn systems.
- #8127 Carolina Tobacco Services. Powell curing barns, mechanical harvesters, heat exchangers.
- #8128 DeCloet Italy, exhibiting with S & P Equipment Co. Curing barns, mechanical harvesters, and other tobacco equipment.
- #8205 Walters Air Assist-Plant Release System.
- #8217 Granville Equipment. Wide variety of tobacco equipment from the fields to the barns.
- #8301 Tytun Ltd. Curing barns and other tobacco equipment.
- #8617 Long Tobacco Barn Company, LLC. Curing barns and related agricultural equipment, including barn service parts.
- February 5, 10 a.m. Scottsburg VA. Scottsburg Volunteer Fire Department. Contact: Halifax County Extension Office at 434-476-2147 or Stephen Barts (email@example.com).
- January 31: GAP training at 5 p.m. Eastern Time with production meeting to follow. Woodford County Extension Office. Versailles, KY. Contact (859)-873-4601.
- February 1: Production Meeting at 11 a.m. Eastern Time with GAP training immediately following lunch about 12:30 p.m. Larue County Extension Office. Hodgenville, KY. Contact: (270) 358-3401.
- February 1: 1:30 pm Eastern Time. Following the East TN/Southwest VA/Western NC Tobacco Expo, Commercial Building #2, Appalachian Fairgrounds, Gray, TN. Call Paul Denton at 865-974-8839 or the UT Washington County Extension office at 423-753-1680 for more information.
- February 4: GAP training at 5:30 Eastern Time with production meeting to follow. Garrard County Extension Office. Lancaster, KY. Contact (859)-792-3026.
- February 5: GAP training at 5 p.m. Central Time with production meeting to follow. Adair County Extension Office. Columbia, KY. Contact (270)-384-2317.
- February 5: GAP training at 2 p.m. Central Time Following the TN/KY Tobacco Expo, Robertson County Fairgrounds, Springfield, TN. Call Paul Denton at 865-974-8839 or the Robertson County Extension office at 615-384-7936 for more information.
- February 12: Production meeting at 10 a.m. Central Time with GAP training at 11:20 Central Time. Center Church of Christ, Center, KY. Contact: (270)-524-2451.
- February 12: GAP training at 5 p.m. Central Time with production meeting to follow. Allen County Extension Office. Scottsville, KY. Contact (270)-237-3146.
- February 21: Production meeting at 10 a.m. Central Time with GAP training at 11 a.m. Central Time. Breckinridge County Extension Office, Hardinsburg, KY. Contact: (270) 756-2182
- February 26: 10:30 a.m. Central Time. Macon County Fairground, Lafayette, TN. Call the Macon County Extension office at (615)-666-3341 for more information and to reserve a place.
- February 27: GAP training at 1 and 6 p.m. Eastern Time followed by production update. Washington County Extension Office. Springfield, KY. Contact: (859) 336-7741.
Bridging the GAP: Several Good Agricultural Practice meetings are scheduled soon. Find below the date and location of each meeting and the phone number to call to assure a place is available.